I’ve been making a lot of burgers lately. (I think it’s the teacher in me yearning for summer to finally get here!)
These burgers had a nice summer feel. They were light and very California-ish (yes, I’m aware that’s not really a word!), with the stars being solely the chicken and avocado.
The key to this burger is making sure you don’t overdo it with the mixing. You want the avocado cubes to keep their shape. This way, you’ll have creamy, delicious bites of avocado throughout the entire burger. I topped each burger with just a bit of sharp cheddar cheese. I used my favorite Cuisinart Griddler to grill my burgers, but you can definitely use an actual grill or grill pan.
Start by preheating your griddler (or grill or grill pan) to medium-high…
- Halve an avocado and score it into cubes using a pairing knife.
- Spoon the cubes into a large bowl.
- Mince up 3 cloves of garlic.
- Add the garlic to the bowl.
- Pour in ½ cup panko breadcrumbs.
- Season with some s&p.
- Carefully toss everything to combine.
- Add 1 package of ground chicken.
- Gently mix everything together, trying not to mash the avocado up too much.
- Divide the chicken avocado mixture into 4 equal sections.
- Roll each section into a ball.
- Then flatten the balls into patties.
- Coat your griddler with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the patties on the griddler.
- Grill for about 8 minutes, then flip.
- Continue cooking until the chicken is white. (The internal temperature should register at 165°. I inserted my thermometer into the side of burger, not the top.)
Serve on buns and top with a little shredded cheddar cheese.
One Year Ago: Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken with Spring Vegetables
Avocado Chicken Burgers (serves 4)
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- nonstick cooking spray
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- Preheat your grill pan to medium-high.
- Gently mix the avocado, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Add the chicken and mix gently to incorporate all of the ingredients.
- Divide the chicken into 4 equal sections.
- Roll each section into a ball, then flatten into a patty.
- Coat your grill pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook the burgers for about 7 minutes, then flip.
- Add a little cheddar cheese to each burger.
- Continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 more minutes. (The internal temperature of the chicken should be 165°.)
- Serve the burgers on the buns.