Was totally planning on making something else tonight, but Ash Wednesday changed my plans to a classic meatless dish…good old mac and cheese!
This is based on a Rachael Ray version (not sure if it’s in a book of hers…I get it at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/macaroni-and-cheddar-cheese-recipe/index.html). It actually is a quick meal to make (there’s no chopping, so I can get it done in under 30 minutes).
I used rotini pasta (it was in my pantry) and cooked until al dente. Meanwhile, I started by making my rue.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter with some EVOO.
- Add 3 tablespoons flour.
- Whisk the flour until smooth.
- Add 1.5 cups of milk slowly. (I used skim because it was in my fridge. Use whole or 2% if you prefer.)
- Whisk until thickened.
- Add 2 cups shredded cheddar, little by little, whisking all the while. (Rachael uses white cheddar; I used yellow.)
- Finish the sauce with 1/4 teaspoon cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (or less to taste).
Once the sauce is done, add the pasta then transfer to a baking dish. Cover with more cheddar (I also added a sprinkle of breadcrumbs), and place under the broiler until brown on top.
I love this meal – it is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine! The nutmeg adds another level to the sauce, and the cayenne gives just a teeny kick. It looks as great as it tastes!
It almost looks like hers!