I feel so fancy…I made haricots verts!
In other words, I made green beans…
Not your average, run-of-the-mill green beans though. Haricots verts are French green beans that are slightly longer and thinner than the traditional green bean. They just add a bit of elegance to any meal. I got my haricots verts at my Trader Joe’s. If you can’t find them though, you can absolutely substitute regular green beans.
I made this simple yet delicious side dish to go along with my Garlic-Balsamic Pork Tenderloin. It was very easy to make and took less than 15 minutes from start to finish. (That’s my kind of side dish!)
My inspiration came from this recipe. I used little less balsamic than the original recipe called for and was very satisfied. The vinegar was not overpowering; there was just a hint of it in the background. The Parmesan added a nice nuttiness. I was really a fan.
Start with the green beans haricots verts…
- Add some water to a deep skillet.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add your haricots verts.
- Cover and cook until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, smash up some garlic.
- Melt some butter in another skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Drain the haricots verts.
- Add them to the skillet.
- Stir to combine and to coat the beans in the butter.
- Pour in a little balsamic vinegar.
- Give everything another stir.
- Season with s&p.
- Add some grated Parmesan cheese.
- Stir one last time.
Balsamic-Parmesan Haricots Verts (serves 4)
- 2 cups water
- 12 ounces haricots verts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ground black pepper
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Pour the water into a deep skillet.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the haricots verts.
- Cover and let cook for about 5 minutes, until tender-crisp.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in another skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the green beans.
- Toss to combine.
- Pour in the balsamic vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir and let cook for 2 more minutes.
- Pour in the cheese.
- Stir to coat all of the beans.