Made a simple taco salad tonight for dinner. So easy to make, and fast too! I based my version off an Ellie Krieger (her show is Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger) recipe I found on foodnetwork.com. I tried to lower the calories even more than she did. Even with my cutbacks, it was still a very satisfying dinner.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 pound ground beef. Break up with a wooden spoon. Stir occasionally.
- Cook until no longer pink, about 7 minutes.
- When beef is cooked through, add 4 cloves chopped garlic, 1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed), and 1 can of Rotel Diced Tomatoes with chilies (my addition).
- Let cook for a couple of minutes, then add 1 tablespoon chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- Let the meat mixture simmer until the juice from the tomatoes is almost completely evaporated.
- While you are waiting, slice up 3 heads of romaine lettuce.
To serve, put some lettuce in the bottom of your bowl. Top with the beef. Sprinkle on some shredded cheddar cheese and spoon on some salsa. Top with a squeeze of lime juice. The final product is delicious and colorful. (I bet this would be super with ground turkey instead of ground beef as well!)
(*The recipe online said to add broken tortilla chips. I left those out. It also said to make a dressing with the lime juice, some EVOO, tomatoes, and a little s&p. Again, I went with just plain lime juice. The salsa (my addition) and lime juice was enough to keep the salad moist.)