This chicken dish was so quick to make yet packed a lot of flavor. The combination of cumin and chili powder along with the brightness and acidity from the lime juice worked really well together. And, the cilantro (which I almost forgot to add at the end but thankfully remembered at the last possible minute!) freshened the entire meal up.
This chicken was so good, in fact, that my husband and I devoured all of it in one sitting (which is why I am claiming that this recipe serves only 2!). Seriously, there was nothing left! I’m sure you could stretch it and get more bang for your buck if you serve the chicken over some rice. I choose to be carb-free, though, and served it with my Sesame Soy Green Beans.
Start with the chicken…
- Cut 1 package of chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks.
- Heat some EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken to the hot oil. (It should sizzle as soon as you add it!)
- Mince up a generous amount of garlic.
- Cook the chicken until it is golden brown on one side.
- Season the chicken with ground cumin.
- Sprinkle on some chilli powder.
- Let the chicken cook on for one more minute, then flip it.
- Add the garlic to the skillet.
- Zest 1 lime into the skillet.
- Stir to combine.
- Lower the heat and let cook for about 5 minutes.
- Mince up some fresh cilantro while you’re waiting.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 limes over the chicken.
- Gently scrap up any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Cook for one more minute.
This is when you would remove the chicken from the heat and sprinkle the cilantro on top of the chicken and stir. I left the lonely cilantro sitting on my cutting board for about 10 minutes (poor thing).
I remembered it in time for seconds at least! It looks so much brighter with the green cilantro on it!
Cilantro Lime Chicken (serves 2)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- zest from 1 lime
- juice from 2 limes
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken.
- Let cook until golden brown on 1 side, about 7 minutes.
- Season the chicken with the cumin and chili powder.
- Let cook for a minute more, then flip.
- Cook for a few more minutes, until the other side begins to brown.
- Add the garlic and lime zest.
- Stir to combine.
- Lower the heat and let cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Squeeze in the lime juice.
- Scrap up any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Cook for another minute.
- Sprinkle the cilantro on top of the chicken then serve.