Made pancakes from scratch this morning for the first time. (I wasn’t planning on doing that, but when I went to get the pancake mix out of my pantry, there was none. Surprise! I was already set on pancakes though, and so was Matt.)
I started a basic pancake recipe from the bible of cooking: Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book.
I added a few of my own things.
- Start by combining 1 & 3/4 cups flour with 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Add 1 & 1/2 cups milk (I used skim), 1 egg, and 3 tablespoons oil.
- Whisk to combine.
- I then added a splash of vanilla extract, some cinnamon, and a little brown sugar.
- Whisk to combine the new ingredients.
- Preheat a griddle and coat with butter.
- Add enough batter to make 4 medium sized pancakes.
- Cook until bubbles start forming in the middle (about 5 minutes). Then flip.
When your pancakes look like this, flip:
- Cook about 4 more minutes on the other side.
Serve with maple syrup. Enjoy!
Note: This recipe made more than enough batter. I made 8 medium pancakes and still had batter leftover. I refrigerated it. Guess what’s for breakfast tomorrow! 😉