My second culinary adventure with quinoa was just as successful as the first. It really is so easy to cook, and I love that it’s a protein. If you haven’t tried it yet, you should! (Remember to rinse it thoroughly in cold water first though!)
I *love* all the flavors of Greek food, so when I discovered this recipe in Pinterest, it was a no-brainer that I had to try it ASAP. It’s fast to make…by the time the quinoa was finished cooking, everything was chopped and ready to go!
Start with the quinoa…
- Start with 1 cup of quinoa.
- Place in a sieve and run under cold water to rinse.
- Put the rinsed quinoa into a small saucepan. (My saucepan is 1.5 quarts.)
- Add 2 cups water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes (until the water is completely absorbed).
- When it’s finished, the rings will have separated and the quinoa will look somewhat transparent.
- Let cool before making the salad.
While the quinoa cooks, prep everything else…
- Halve 1 pint of grape tomatoes.
- Pit and halve a decent amount of kalamata olives.
- Cut up 1 cucumber.
- Dice 1/2 of a medium red onion.
While the quinoa cools, make the dressing…
- Start with 1/4 cup EVOO.
- Add 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar.
- Add 1 teaspoon of oregano.
- Whisk all ingredients together.
Now you’re ready to make the salad…
- Add the cooled quinoa to a large serving bowl.
- Add the grape tomatoes.
- Add the kalamata olives.
- Add the cucumbers.
- Add the red onion.
- Stir to combine everything.
- Add 1/2 a container of crumbled feta cheese. (I used feta with herbs for the first time. And boy was it good!)
- Mix again, then add the dressing.
This is a great lunch or side dish. Perfect to bring to a summer BBQ! Enjoy!