Today is my first official day of summer vacation. And boy does it feel good!
This chicken dish will also make you feel good. It’s a perfect summer meal: light, refreshing, and (most importantly) delicious!
The chicken marinates for at least three hours (I marinated mine overnight) in a tantalizing combination of Good Seasonings Italian blend, balsamic vinegar, and EVOO. It’s grilled to perfection, then topped with a classic chopped tomato and mozzarella salad (which I also let marinade overnight). I actually used a mix of plum tomatoes and grape tomatoes in my salad. (They were both sitting on my counter and I didn’t want them to go bad!) I liked the variety. Use whatever type of tomatoes you have on hand.
The chicken is perfect alongside a refreshing salad (such as my Cucumber Noodle Salad with Feta and Arugula, which is what I served it with) or a light vegetable side dish (like my Balsamic Spinach). You can definitely grill the chicken outside on your grill or inside (like me) on your Cuisinart Griddler or Grill Pan. However you grill it, just make sure you plan ahead and give the chicken enough time to marinate!
Start with the chicken marinade…
- Measure out ½ cup of balsamic vinegar and ¼ cup of EVOO.
- Take out a packet of Good Seasonings.
- Combine the three ingredients in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Add 1 package of thinly sliced chicken breasts.
- Close the bag and massage the marinade into the chicken.
- Lay flat and refrigerate for at least 3 hours (or overnight).
Next, make the salad…
- Chop up some tomatoes, mince up some garlic, and cube up some fresh mozzarella.
- Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour in ¼ cup red wine vinegar.
- Next, pour in ¼ cup balsamic vinegar.
- Finish with ¼ cup EVOO.
- Sprinkle in a little dried oregano.
- Season with s&p to taste.
- Give everything a good stir.
- Cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to grill the chicken.
When you’re ready to finish the meal, take the chicken and salad out of the fridge and let sit for little while…
- Preheat your grilling apparatus to medium-high.
- Place the chicken on the grill. (Discard the leftover marinade.)
- Grill, flipping once, until the chicken is cooked through.
To plate, place a chicken breast on a plate.
Generously top with the tomato and mozzarella salad.
Two Years Ago: Southwestern Chicken
Grilled Balsamic Chicken Topped with Tomatoes & Mozzarella (serves 4)
- ¾ cup balsamic vinegar, divided
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 packet Good Seasonings Italian Dressing
- 1 package boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- At least three hours before you start to cook, combine ½ cup of the balsamic vinegar with ¼ cup of the olive oil and the Good Seasonings in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Mix everything up.
- Add the chicken.
- Massage the marinade into the chicken.
- Seal the bag and lay flat in your fridge.
- Combine the tomatoes, garlic, mozzarella, basil, and red wine vinegar with the remaining ¼ cups of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and place in the fridge.
- After at least 3 hours have passed, remove the chicken and tomato topping from the fridge.
- Let the chicken come to room temperature.
- Preheat your grill pan to medium.
- Cook the chicken until done, about 5-6 minutes per side.
- Top the warm chicken with the tomato and mozzarella salad.