I have had bulgogi many times since I met me husband. Bulgogi is a Korean dish that usually consists of grilled marinated beef. It’s delicious and I find myself craving it more often than not. I have yet to attempt to recreate the delicious flavors myself though. So, when I came across this recipe for Korean “cheater” beef, I had to give it a try!
While this recipe did not completely replicate all the wonderfulness of bulgogi, it did certainly please my taste buds! I loved the added crunch from the peppers, and the sauce was delicious. For whatever reason, I did not add any crushed red pepper flake. Next time, I may a pinch or two. Regardless, it was a great dinner. The best part of this meal was how quick it was to make…perfect for a busy weeknight.
Start by heating a large skillet over medium heat…
- Add a little sesame oil.
- Once warm, add a pound of ground beef.
- Break the beef up with a wooden spoon.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned.
- While the beef cooks, dice up a red and green pepper.
- Mince up some garlic.
- Add the peppers and garlic to the browned beef.
- Stir to combine, then add 4 teaspoons of brown sugar.
- Add some soy sauce.
- Mince up a piece of ginger.
- Add it to the skillet.
- Stir, season with a little s&p (and maybe some crushed red pepper flake), and cook for about 5 minutes.
- While everything cooks, slice up a bunch of scallions.
- Add half of the scallions to the skillet.
- Stir and remove from the heat.
Serve in Bibb lettuce leaves.
Top with the remaining scallions.
P.S. – It’s equally as good without the lettuce wraps! Just use a knife and fork!
One Year Ago: Greek Cucumber Cups
Korean Beef Lettuce Wraps (serves 4)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, minced
- 1 green pepper, minced
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 inch piece ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped and separated
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sesame oil.
- Once hot, add the ground beef, breaking up with a wooden spoon and stirring occasionally.
- When the meat is brown, add the garlic and peppers.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook for 2 minutes then add the brown sugar, soy sauce, and ginger.
- Mix well, then season with the salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, then add half of the scallions.
- Stir and cook 1 more minute.
- Serve in lettuce leaves, topped with some of the remaining scallions.