Stuffed peppers are becoming a favorite of mine (see here and here). I really enjoyed my version of this recipe as well. The peppers had just the right amount of heat. It was a guiltless recipe since there was no rice or couscous in the filling. It’s a great way to get some extra vitamins as well by using a bag of spinach. The spinach wilts away and is barely recognizable. My favorite part is the melted cheese on top. Yum!
Preheat your oven to 350, then start with the filling…
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 package of ground turkey.
- Break the turkey up with a wooden spoon and cook until browned.
- Open and drain a can of pinto beans.
- Add 1 packet of taco seasoning to the meat.
- Add the pinto beans.
- Dice up 2 jalapenos.
- Add the jalapenos to the turkey mixture.
- Add 1 bag of baby spinach.
- Mix the spinach in until it wilts.
- Slice the tops off of 4 large green peppers.
- Place the peppers into a baking dish.
- Pour about 16 ounces of salsa into the turkey mixture.
- Stir to combine.
- Remove the turkey from the heat.
- Fill each pepper to the top with the turkey.
- Top each pepper with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake until the peppers have softened and the cheese is melted (anywhere from 30-45 minutes…keep your eye on them!).
When your oven timer goes off, sit down and enjoy the cheesy-topped goodness!