These burgers had great flavor (which isn’t always the case when you’re using turkey). They also had *fantastic* toppings. The toppings were so good that I went bun-less. Not even lettuce for this burger! Paired with my Mexican Cauliflower “Couscous”, this was a seriously low-carb meal!
I adapted my recipe from here. I added some spice and used guacamole instead of just avocado on top. Speaking of guacamole, have you come across this at your local Trader Joe’s??
It’s awesome! And so affordable! For just $3.99, you get everything you need to make a decent portion of creamy guacamole. The kit includes 2 avocados, 2 plum tomatoes, 1 lime, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 jalapeño, and 1 teeny tiny onion. It’s a steal!
Start the burgers by preheating your Cuisinart Griddler (or grill/grill pan) to medium-high…
- Mince up 1 jalapeño and ½ a red onion.
- Combine the minced veggies with 1¼ pounds ground turkey in a large bowl.
- Season with a little black pepper, cumin, and chili powder.
- Pour in 4 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix well, and divide into 4 equal sections.
- Form each section into a patty.
- Place on the grill.
- Let cook for about 7 minutes, then flip.
- Add 1 slice of sharp cheddar to each burger. (I cut each slice in half and placed the halves in a cross on each patty to cover the entire burger.)
- While the burgers continue to cook (about 7 more minutes), get to work on your toppings.
(Ignore the lettuce. I ended up not using it. Go for it though if you’d like!)
- Make the guacamole by mashing the avocados in a container and adding all of the chopped veggies. Season generously with salt and squeeze in the lime juice.
- Slice the remaining half of the red onion and half of a tomato.
When the burgers are fully cooked, place each on a plate. (Feel free to use a bun if you’d like!)
Top with some guacamole.
Then add a tomato slice.
Finish with a slice of red onion.
One Year Ago: Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Steak Lettuce Wraps
Two Years Ago: Capellini with Tomato and Peas
Mexican Turkey Burgers with Guacamole (serves 4)
For the burgers:
- 1¼ pounds ground turkey
- ½ red onion, minced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 4 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices sharp cheddar
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices red onion
For the Guacamole:
- 2 avocado, chopped and mashed with a fork
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- juice from 1 lime
- salt, to taste
- Preheat your grill to medium-high.
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, red onion, jalapeño, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and worcestershire sauce.
- Mix well, then form into 4 patties.
- Place the patties on the grill.
- Cook for about 7 minutes on one side.
- Flip the burgers and top each with a slice of cheddar.
- Cook until done, about 8 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the guacamole by combining all ingredients in a bowl.
- To serve, start with a burger.
- Spread on some guacamole.
- Top with slices of tomato and red onion.
*Serve on a regular bun or on a “lettuce” bun if desired.