I haven’t been feeling well since Tuesday (darn summer flu!), so I decided to make a nice soup to help me feel better this weekend. This is a weight watchers version of pasta e fagioli. It serves 6 and is only 4 points per serving (depending on how much cheese you add at the end!). It was quick, easy, and delicious, and therefore it made me feel much better!
- Heat 2 teaspoons EVOO in the bottom of a large pot over medium-high heat. (If you have a Dutch oven, use that. It’s on my wish list!!)
- Once the oil is heated, add 1 onion, 1 carrot, and 1 stalk of celery, all chopped.
- Saute until tender (stirring frequently), about 8-10 minutes.
- Add 2 cloves of garlic and 1 plum tomato (also chopped).
- Cook for about 6 more minutes.
- Add 4 cups of vegetable broth.
- Then add 1 cup of a very small cut pasta. (I used tiny shells.)
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the pasta. (It should take no more than 8 minutes.)
- Once the pasta is cooked, stir in 1 small can of pinto beans (drained and rinsed), as well as about 5 ounces of spinach (roughly chopped).
- Cook about 2 more minutes, then serve with grated parmesan cheese.