Before you immediately disregard this post because the title contains the words “brussels sprouts”, I beg you to give this a chance! I think brussels sprouts have such a horrbile reputation that they do not deserve!
Surprisingly, I have enjoyed brussels sprouts since I was a kid. My dad would steam them, and that was enough for me. I can see, though, how that would be unappealing to many. My version of brussels sprouts, however, is much more appetizing! (Sorry Dad!) It’s also really simple to make. Roasting the brussels sprouts makes them nutty and crispy. It’s a great way to eat your vegetables!
Start by prepping the brussels sprouts…
- Preheat your oven to 400º.
- Peel off any outer leaves that look yellow or icky. (Yes, I said “icky”. Couldn’t really think of a better word. And, you definitely know what I mean when I say “icky”.)
- Cut off the ends.
- Cut the brussels sprouts in half. (If they are really large, you may want to quarter them to reduce the cooking time.)
- Place the brussels sprouts on a baking sheet.
- Season with s&p.
- Drizzle some EVOO over the brussels sprouts.
- Mix with your hands to evenly coat.
- Bake until browned and crisp on the outside, about 35-40 minutes. (Shake the baking sheet occasionally as they cook.)
When they are finished, the brussels sprouts should be crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. I guarantee you will like, if not love, them! Enjoy!