Before we get to this delicious recipe, I have to apologize. I have been MIA for a month now and I am very sorry. I can’t even believe it’s been that long! September came and work started and basketball started and grad school started (and football along with Sunday Funday started), and I just wound up completely neglecting both of my blogs. Believe me, I feel terrible!
The good news is that I have still been cooking and taking pictures this past month. I am officially back and have some great recipes to share with you all!
I’m starting off again with a yummy Pinterest-inspired recipe for Slow Cooker Sunday…honey sesame chicken. The prep for this meal was simple, and the flavors were tremendous. The chicken was definitely moist. (I find that any slow cooker meal that involves shredding the chicken and returning it to the sauce is moist and delicious.) I served it over brown rice. It could also make a great slider.
Start with the chicken…
- Place 3 large chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker. (I used just under 2 pounds.)
- Season generously with s&p.
Next, make the sauce…
- Chop up 3 cloves of garlic and 1 small onion.
- Pour 1 cup of honey into a bowl or a large measuring cup.
- Add 1/4 cup ketchup.
- Add the chopped garlic and onion.
- Add 1/2 cup soy sauce.
- Pour in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle in 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flake.
- Whisk to combine everything.
- Pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 3-4. (I started at 2 but then added an extra 30 minutes.)
- While you’re waiting, get out some sesame seeds and slice up some scallions. (Make some rice too if using.)
- When the chicken is finished, remove it from the slow cooker.
- Leave the sauce in the slow cooker.
- Measure 1/3 cup of water.
- Add 4 teaspoons of cornstarch.
- Whisk until the cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- Add the slurry (aka the cornstarch mixture) to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for about 10 more minutes. (The sauce should thicken.)
- While the sauce thickens, shred the chicken.
- When the sauce has thickened, add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker.
- Stir to combine.
- Transfer the chicken and its sauce to a serving dish.
- Sprinkle a good amount of sesame seeds onto the chicken and add the scallions.
Serve the chicken over brown rice. Enjoy!