Happy Slow Cooker Sunday! This is the first time I used my slow cooker to make a side dish instead of the main dish. These mashed potatoes came out great! They were creamy and smooth. I was worried because I was gone all day and the potatoes sat in the slow cooker on the “Keep Warm” setting for hours. Luckily, they survived and were absolutely delicious! This recipe made A LOT of potatoes though. My husband and I will be eating them all week long! (It would be the perfect amount for Thanksgiving, however!) I would recommend cutting everything in half if you are serving 2-4 people.
Start with the potatoes…
- Peel a 5 pound bag of russet potatoes.
- Rinse the potatoes off and cut into cubes.
- Add the potatoes to your slow cooker.
- Mince up 2 cloves of garlic.
- Add the garlic to the slow cooker.
- Add 1.5 cups of chicken broth.
- Dice up 1 stick of salted butter.
- Add the butter to the slow cooker.
- Stir to evenly distribute everything.
- Cover and cook on high for 4.5 hours.
- When the potatoes are done, remove the cover but keep the slow cooker on the Keep Warm setting.
- Mash a little bit.
- Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Pour in 1/3 cup milk. (I used skim.)
- Add 1 cup of sour cream. (I used light.)
- Finish mashing to your desired consistency.
I recovered the potatoes and let them stay warm in the slow cooker until the rest of my dinner (a yummy meatloaf…recipe to come soon!) was ready. Enjoy!