I’ve decided that January really is a confusing month. Everyone’s got their resolutions to work out and lose weight and eat right. But, the cold weather makes you craze all the classic comfort foods: stew, mac & cheese, lasagna… Grilled chicken salad just doesn’t seem to cut it in January. This has been my predicament so far this year. I’ve been working out 5 days a week and have been tracking points once again. But, I crave guilty pleasures for dinner! This recipe definitely helped suffice my craving without ruining my diet. It’s a super comforting soup, perfect for a cold January night.
Start with the beef…
- Brown 1 pound of beef in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season with some s&p.
- Add the beef to your slow cooker using a slotted spoon.
- Dice up 1 small onion, 2 carrots, and 2 celery stalks.
- Add the veggies to the slow cooker.
- Add 1 small can of diced tomatoes.
- Drain and rinse 2 small cans of kidney beans. (I used 1 can of dark red and 1 can of white.)
- Add the beans to the slow cooker.
- Add 1 large jar of pasta sauce.
- Add 3 cups of beef broth. (I used the reduced sodium kind.)
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add 1 teaspoon black pepper.
- Add 2 teaspoons dried parsley.
- Add 2 teaspoons dried oregano.
- Stir well to combine everything.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 7.5 hours, pour in 3/4 cup of small cut pasta. (I chose pipette.)
- Stir, recover, and continue to cook on low for the remaining 30 minutes, or until the pasta is tender.
You can leave the pasta out to save a couple of points, but I think it’s okay. It’s such a small amount and it is*pasta*e fagioli, after all!
You can also sprinkle a little shredded parmesan on top (if you have an extra point to spare)! Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli (serves 8)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 small onion
- 1 small can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- 3 cups beef broth (reduced sodium)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup small cut pasta
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the beef.
- Break up the beef and cook until browned.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a slotted spoon, add the beef to the slow cooker.
- Finely chop the carrots, celery, and onion.
- Add the chopped vegetables to the slow cooker.
- Add the diced tomatoes, then add both cans of beans.
- Add the pasta sauce.
- Pour in the beef broth.
- Sprinkle in the dried herbs, the salt, and the pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 7½ hours.
- Add the pasta.
- Stir and cook for 30 more minutes.