This is the *fastest* slow cooker meal I’ve ever made! (What an oxymoron!) In under 2 hours, you will have a healthy and delicious meal on your table. And, everyone loves a good sloppy joe! There was a little cooking required before loading up your slow cooker, but it didn’t take long at all. Chop the veggies while the meat browns.
- Start by heating a skillet over medium-high heat and adding 1 pound of lean ground turkey.
- Break the turkey up with a wooden spoon.
- Cook until brown and crumbled, about 8-10 minutes.
- While the turkey cooks, finely dice 1 red bell pepper, 1 onion, and 3 cloves of garlic.
- When the turkey is finished, add it to your slow cooker.
- Add the diced veggies.
- Add 1 small can of tomato pasta (6 ounces).
- Sprinkle in 1 tablespoon of dried oregano.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Last, pour in 1/2 cup water plus 3 tablespoons.
- Mix well to incorporate everything (especially the tomato paste).
- Cover and cook on low for 1.5 hours.
It should look like this when it’s finished. (The onions should be tender.)
When the slow cooker is finished cooking, serve the turkey mixture on hamburger buns. (We used light buns.) The sloppy joe had great flavor and wasn’t too messy! Enjoy!