It’s Slow Cooker Sunday! I was really tempted to just skip it this week and have leftovers today, but then I stumbled across a blog…this woman used her slow cooker EVERYDAY for a year! Super-impressive, I know. If she could use it 365 days in a row, I can use it at least once a week.
(See her story and recipes here: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/01/2008-flashback-entire-year-in-order.html.)
Today’s recipe was so fast to put together. There was absolutely no prep at all. Load up your slow cooker anywhere from 4-8 hours (depending on the cooking temperature you prefer to use) before you want to serve dinner…
- Place 1.5 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Sprinkle 1 packet of taco seasoning.
- Dump in 1 jar of salsa on top.
- Stir a little bit in order to dissolve the taco seasoning into the salsa.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours (or low for 6-8 hours).
Just before the chicken is done, prep the taco toppings…
- I used lettuce wraps instead of tortillas (to keep the points value down). (I guess I should have called these lettuce wraps instead of tacos!)
- Dice up some tomatoes and shred some lettuce. (After I shredded my lettuce I realized it probably wasn’t necessary since I was using lettuce in place of tortillas…talk about lettuce overkill!)
- Shred some cheese (or buy a bag of shredded pepperjack, like I did).
- When the chicken is ready, use 2 forks to shred it.
The chicken was so easy to shred and was really juicy, not dry at all. (I can’t wait to make buffalo chicken dip this way! Perhaps for a Super Bowl Party if the Giants pull out a win tonight!) It was pretty tasty too. I used mild salsa this time. I might try medium next time to give it a little more heat. I also may make my own taco seasoning next time in order to control the salt. My husband and I both really liked it though. And the best part was that it was pretty healthy too. Enjoy!