Summertime is the best time to use fresh, delicious produce. Yum.
Jersey is known for its tomatoes, so that was my inspiration for this salad. I personally love tomato with cucumber, and I had a red pepper in the fridge along with some fresh oregano, which helped pull this dish together. It was really light but satisfying. The fresh oregano is key for the dressing. I don’t recommend using dried for this.
Start with the dressing…
- Mince up about 1 tablespoon of fresh oregano and 1 clove of garlic.
- Add 3 tablespoons of EVOO to the bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Add the garlic.
- Then add the oregano.
- Whisk to combine everything and set aside.
Chop up the veggies for the salad next…
- Cut 4 tomatoes (fresh from the vine) into eighths.
- Cut up 1 red pepper.
- Chunk up 1 English cucumber.
- Thinly slice 1 shallot.
- Add all the veggies to a large bowl.
- Add the dressing.
- Mix well.
Eat immediately or cover and place in the fridge to let the flavors meld some more. (If you do put it in the fridge, make sure you take it out about 15 minutes before serving.) This is the perfect side or a great light lunch. Either way, enjoy!