Have you ever been to Red Robin and had their lettuce buns? Basically, instead of a bun, they mound iceberg lettuce on both sides of the burger. It’s not a lettuce wrap though. It really is like a lettuce “bun”. If you have never tried it and there’s a Red Robin near you, I highly recommend it! In fact, the lettuce “bun” was my inspiration for this recipe. It’s a simple burger topped with cheddar cheese placed between two mounds of crunchy lettuce. You really don’t even miss the bun. And you feel much less guilty after eating it!
Start by making the burgers…
- Place 1 pound of ground beef into a large bowl.
- Add some worcestershire sauce. (I just eyeballed it. It was probably about 2 tablespoons.) The sauce adds great flavor and keeps the burgers moist.
- Sprinkle in about 1 tablespoon of grill seasoning.
- Mix, but don’t overmix!
- Form the meat into 4 patties, making an indent in the middle of each to trap all of the juices.
- Place on your Cuisinart Griddler (or grill or grillpan), set to medium-high heat.
- Grill, flipping once, until cooked to your liking. (I prefer medium-well.)
- While the burgers cook, cut up a head of iceberg lettuce into bun-sized pieces.
- After you cut the lettuce, carefully rinse each piece and lay on paper towels to dry.
- A couple of minutes before the burgers are ready, add a slice of cheese to each. (I used a nice sharp cheddar.)
Serve the burgers on top of the lettuce buns with some extra napkins. It can get a little messy, especially if you use ketchup! Enjoy!