If you’ve been following my blog from the beginning (2½ years ago!), you can tell that I’m a *huge* fan of anything buffalo. (See the proof here.) Buffalo sauce quite possibly could be my favorite condiment! (Now, that’s a bold statement!) So, when I picked up a package of ground turkey recently and had little inspiration for what to do with it, I decided to go with what I love and make buffalo turkey burgers.
I raided my pantry and fridge for ingredients and came up with this recipe. As I made the patties, I realized it was pretty loose and wet from the added buffalo sauce (ground turkey can be be wet enough already), so I decided to add some breadcrumbs to help hold the burgers together. It worked, and it (thankfully) didn’t take away from the moistness from the sauce. Overall, I was happy with how they turned out. Next time, I might but a little extra buffalo sauce on the cooked burgers before serving, just to amp up that yummy buffalo flavor! In fact, I’m already ready for my next buffalo adventure…perhaps this?
Start by preheating your griddler (or grill or grill pan) to medium-high…
- Place 1 pound of ground turkey in a large bowl.
- Add some s&p.
- Pour in some buffalo sauce.
- Mince up ¼ of a red onion.
- Add the onion to the bowl.
- Add some whole wheat breadcrumbs.
- Mix well, divide into 4 equal sections, and form 4 patties.
- Spray your griddler with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the patties on the griddler.
- Cook for about 7 minutes, then flip.
- While the burgers cook, slice up a tomato and the remaining red onion.
You’re ready to serve!
Start by placing a burger on some iceberg lettuce (aka your bottom “bun”).
Spread a little blue cheese dressing on top (and some more buffalo sauce).
Top with a tomato slice.
Add a little red onion.
Finish with some more lettuce (or the top of your “bun”). (Use regular buns of you’d like, of course!!)
One Year Ago: Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken Sliders
Buffalo Turkey Burgers (on Lettuce “Buns”) (serves 4)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ red onion, ¼ minced and ½ sliced
- ⅓ cup buffalo sauce
- ¼ whole wheat breadcrumbs
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tomato, sliced
- iceberg lettuce
- blue cheese dressing
- Preheat your grill to medium-high.
- Combine the turkey in a large bowl with the salt, pepper, minced red onion, buffalo sauce, and breadcrumbs.
- Mix to combine.
- Separate into 4 equal sections and form patties.
- Coat the grill with the cooking spray.
- Place the burgers on the grill.
- Cook, flipping once, about 7 minutes per side.
- To serve, start with some lettuce (as your “bun”).
- Top with a burger.
- Drizzle some blue cheese dressing on top.
- Add a slice of tomato and red onion.
- Finish with some more lettuce.