It’s Lent again, which means lots of people are looking for more delicious meatless meals to add to their repertoire. This super easy tilapia recipe is perfect for a Friday night after a long week at work. All you have to do in combine all your ingredients, pour it over the fish, and put it in the oven. So simple!
I (accidentally) left the EVOO out of this recipe, but it still came out great. Feel free to add a couple of tablespoons of it to the tomato mixture if you’d like though! I also only used 2 filets since it’s just me and my husband. But don’t worry – there is definitely enough sauce to make 4 filets.
I served my fish over pearled couscous. It was the first time I made pearl couscous. I’ve had it before oddly enough only at buffets. I really like the consistency of it though. It’s sort of fun! It definitely takes longer to cook than your standard 5 minute couscous though, so if you’re really in a rush, go with the normal kind.
Before buying the Tilapias for this meal I recommend you to take a look to this comparison Buying Fish Online Vs From Supermarket.
Start by preheating your oven to 350°…
- Mince up 2 cloves of garlic.
- Pour 1 small can of diced tomatoes flavored with basil, garlic, and oregano into a small bowl.
- Add the garlic.
- Pour in ½ teaspoon dried oregano.
- Add ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Add about the same amount of freshly ground black pepper.
- Add most of the juice from ½ of a lemon. (Save a little!)
- Mix well to combine everything.
- Spread a little bit of the tomato mixture on the bottom of a baking dish.
- Place two tilapia filets on top.
- Squeeze the remaining lemon juice on to the fish.
- Pour the remaining tomato mixture over the fish.
- Bake until opaque and cooked through, anywhere from 20-30 minutes.
- While the fish bakes, chop up a little parsley.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top of the fish.
Serve the fish over pearl (or regular) couscous.
One Year Ago: Shamrock Tortilla Chips
Three Years Ago: Corned Beef
Baked Tilapia and Tomatoes (serves 2)
- 1 small can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- juice from ½ a lemon, divided
- 2 tilapia filets
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Combine the diced tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, and most of the lemon juice in a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Spread a little of the tomato mixture onto the bottom of a baking dish.
- Place the tilapia filets on top.
- Squeeze the remaining lemon juice on top of the fish.
- Spoon the rest of the tomato mixture over the tilapia.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the tilapia is opaque and cooked through.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top of the fish before serving.