Okay, first of all, I am not crazy and did not make this hearty chowder on this very hot July day. (I actually had leftovers tonight, but wanted to share something new tonight!) I made this back in November (notice my fall-themed placemat), and luckily took a picture and wrote down exactly how I made it. The inspiration was from a weightwatchers.com meal. I changed it up a bit though…
- Start by dicing 4 small red potatoes.
- Boil them until tender and reserve.
- Cut about 6 pieces of bacon into 1 inch pieces.
- Crisp it in the bottom of a large pot. (You won’t need any oil.)
- While the bacon is cooking, chop 1 large onion, 1 green pepper, and 2 carrots.
- Once crisp, remove the bacon with a slotted spoon.
- Cook the veggies along with a can of corn in the leftover bacon fat.
- Once the veggies are tender, add 1 cup of chicken stock and 2 cups of skim milk.
- Stir, then add the potatoes, along with some hot sauce and pepper (to taste).
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- I removed about 2 cups of the soup, pureed it, and then added it back (to make it thicker and creamier).
Serve with the bacon and some cheddar cheese! Enjoy!!
(Sorry this is the only picture. This was pre-awesome camera!)