Had a super busy week, so I have a few meals to blog about…
First up is a weight watchers meal: Saucy Sausage, Peppers, and Potatoes
I found the recipe on weightwatchers.com and modified it a bit. It’s 5 points per serving originally, which is low for dinner. (My version is a little more.) It was filling though. I let this one-pot meal cook for over an hour, and the result was fantastic. The sausage was so tender and all of the flavors really combined well.
- Start by browning 1 pound of sausage (I used sweet Italian) in a pan with a teaspoon of EVOO.
- Meanwhile, start chopping away! Slice 1 red onion, 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, and about 4 cloves of garlic. (Yes, it’s a lot of slicing, but the colors are beautiful when you are all done!)
- Remove the sausage from the pan when browned on all sides (it does not need to be fully cooked; it will continue cooking later on).
- Add another teaspoon of EVOO, then add all of the veggies.
- Cook until softened (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- While the veggies cook, cut about 3/4 pound of peeled red potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Cut the sausage into chunks. Add it back to the pot, along with the potatoes, a 15 ounce can of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup of water, and 1 teaspoon dried oregano.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and let cook until the potatoes are fork tender. Stir occasionally. (The long the the better in this case; like I said earlier, I let it cook for over an hour.)
You could serve this on a crusty roll as a sandwich, or just eat it as is, like we did.