Today’s Slow Cooker Sunday recipe is perfect for your Cinco de Mayo celebration! It’s a very versatile recipe that can be used in lots of different ways. I actually used the chicken three ways: in a healthy salad, on a scrumptious sandwich, and on top of delicious nachos.
The inspiration for the chicken came from this recipe. It’s really easy to throw together and can be done in just 4 hours. There’s virtually no prep work required for the chicken, which comes out of the slow cooker flavorful and tender.
The first night we had this chicken, I made a salad. The chicken was moist enough that we didn’t even use a dressing. Top your lettuce with your favorite veggies (I used tomatoes, cucumbers, and avocado). Then, spoon on some chicken, cheese, and a few tortilla chips for some crunch. Yum!
I decided to change things up a but the next night and made sandwiches. Shredded chicken is a perfect topper for a bun. I added a lot of the ingredients from the salad to our sandwiches (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and cheddar), which gave the sandwich a great crispness.
The last way I used this chicken was to make a satisfying plate of nachos. I just loaded a plate of tortilla chips with the remaining chicken and shredded cheddar, and placed it under the broiler to melt the cheese. (You could also definitely just microwave the nachos if you don’t feel like turning your oven on.) Feel free to add more salsa, some guacamole, or sour cream if you want!
Even though we were eating pretty much the same ingredients every night, each meal felt completely different and exciting. There was no leftover fatigue in our house!
No matter which meal you decide to make, start with the chicken and beans…
- Place 2 packages of chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Sprinkle on some cumin.
- Add about half a packet of taco seasoning. (I used the low sodium kind.)
- Drain and rinse a can of black beans, then add them to the slow cooker.
- Finish with about a cup of chunky salsa. (I used a mild salsa. Next time, I will use medium to add a little kick.)
- Mix to combine everything.
- Then, cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
A little before your want to eat, prep your veggies (for the salad or sandwich)…
- I sliced up a cucumber, halved some grape tomatoes, and cubed an avocado.
- When the slow cooker is done doing its thing, shred the chicken using two forks. (I shredded the chicken right in the slow cooker.)
To make the salad:
- Place some lettuce onto a plate. (I used Romaine.)
- Add some of the halved tomatoes.
- Top with some cucumbers.
- Add some avocado.
- Sprinkle on some shredded cheddar cheese.
- Top with the chicken and bean mixture.
- Finish with a few broken tortilla chips.
To make the sandwich:
- Start with the bottom of a hamburger bun.
- Place a few pieces of lettuce on top.
- Add a couple slices of cucumber.
- Pile on the chicken and bean mixture.
- Top with a few slices of sliced grape tomato.
- Finish by sprinkling on some cheddar cheese.
However you use the chicken and beans, enjoy!
Two Years Ago: Pan-Fried Tilapia
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken and Beans (serves 8)
- 2½ pounds chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ packet of reduced sodium taco seasoning
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- Place the chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Season with the cumin and taco seasoning.
- Add the beans and the salsa.
- Mix to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Shred the chicken using two forks.
- 1 bag romaine lettuce
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- handful of tortilla chips, broken into pieces
- Put some lettuce onto a plate.
- Top with some of the tomatoes, cucumber, and avocado.
- Add the shredded chicken.
- Top with some cheddar cheese and tortilla chips.
- 8 pieces romaine lettuce
- 8 slices of cucumber
- 8 grape tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 hamburger buns
- Place a piece of lettuce on the bottom of the bun.
- Add the cucumber.
- Top with some of the chicken.
- Add a few slices of tomato.
- Sprinkle on some of the cheddar cheese.
- Finish with the top of the bun.
- tortilla chips
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat your broiler to low.
- Place the tortilla chips on an oven-safe dish.
- Top with the shredded chicken.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, until the cheese has melted.