Slow Cooker Sunday is happening 2 weeks in a row! That hasn’t happened since January!
This is a great one too! As you may already know from my Buffalo Chicken BLAT Lettuce Wraps, my Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese, and my Buffalo Chicken Salad posts, I *heart* buffalo chicken! Combine the tang of buffalo sauce with amazingly tender and juicy shredded chicken from the slow cooker, and you are in business! This was super fast to throw together, and the enticing aroma from the chicken cooking filled the entire house for hours. My inspiration came from here (via Pinterest, of course!).
- Start with an onion and some garlic.
- Chop up half the onion and about 4 small cloves of garlic.
- Place a large package of chicken breasts in the slow cooker. (My package was 3 pounds.)
- Sprinkle the onion and garlic on top of the chicken breasts.
- Add 1 stalk of celery.
- Pour in 2 cups of chicken broth. (Make sure it covers the chicken completely. add some more if necessary. I did.)
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
(This is the way to make delicious shredded chicken. Once you cook chicken this way, you can add any sauce you’d like…BBQ, teriyaki, buffalo, etc.)
- When the chicken is finished, remove the breasts to a large bowl.
- Reserve about 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Discard the rest of the contents of the slow cooker.
- Using 2 forks, shred the chicken.
- Add the chicken back to the slow cooker.
- Pour in the buffalo sauce. (I started with 1/2 a cup, but added more. As you mix it in, you’ll see if it’s too dry or not.)
- Add in some of the reserved broth. (Again, I started with 1/2 a cup ended up using about 1/4 cup more.)
- Mix well, then cover and cook on high for 30 more minutes.
- While the chicken finishes cooking, wash and dry some Boston (or Bibb) lettuce leaves for the wraps. (It really is the best kind of lettuce for wrapping!)
- When the chicken is finished, transfer it the same bowl you shredded it in.
- To make a wrap, pile the chicken onto the lettuce.
- Top with some blue cheese dressing.
You could also add some shredded carrots, blue cheese crumbles, and some diced celery if you would like some added texture. I was just fine with the chicken and blue cheese dressing though. Enjoy!