I picked up some gorgeous yellow squash the other day. Their color was just so rich and bright. They were actually beautiful. (I don’t think I’ve ever called a vegetable beautiful before. There’s a first time for everything I guess!) Even though it pained me to cut them up, I turned them into a yummy baked side dish that was just oozing with cheesy goodness. My inspiration came from this zucchini and squash dish. I changed it up a bit.
The prep time for this recipe is next to nothing. Just cut up your squash, chiffonade some basil, and mix all the ingredients up. Throw it in your oven and you’ll have a delicious and satisfying side dish in no time.
Start by preheating your oven to 350°…
- Cut the ends off of 2 squash and then cut each one in half.
- Slice the squash into half moons.
- Chiffonade about 4 tablespoons of fresh basil.
- Coat a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the squash.
- Add the basil.
- Sprinkle in some dried thyme.
- Add some garlic powder.
- Add some grated Parmesan cheese (part of the cheesy goodness!).
- Sprinkle in some ground black pepper.
- Add some shredded mozzarella (the other part of the goodness!).
- Toss to evenly distribute all of the ingredients.
- Place in the oven (uncovered) and cook for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Add some more mozzarella cheese to the top.
- And then go ahead and add some more Parmesan!
- Put back in the over and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and serve alongside something yummy (like my Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken)! Enjoy!
One Year Ago: Lemon and Garlic Hummus
Cheesy Baked Squash (serves 4)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 yellow squash, cut into half moons
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chiffonade
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅜ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan, divided
- ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Coat a baking dish with the cooking spray.
- Add the squash, basil, thyme, garlic powder, half of the mozzarella, half of the Parmesan, and pepper to taste
- Toss to combine.
- Bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes.
- Top with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Leave a Reply