Today is a great day!
First, as I was just flipping through my channels, I discovered that I finally get The Cooking Channel! Apparently, all of my emails to Cablevision begging them to add it finally paid off! I am very excited!
Second, I used my spiralizer in two different ways to make this salad. Remember my spiralizer? I know what you may be thinking. “She raved about this spiralizer thing weeks ago and then never mentioned it again! It’s probably just collecting dust in a cabinet somewhere!” I have been using it though (quite a bit actually) and have some delicious recipes coming soon (like this one). So if you haven’t ordered yours yet, you need to do it fast!
This salad was delicious! I followed it almost to a tee, basically just omitting the honey. I was super impressed with how the slicer blade cut the cucumber into long wavy strands. It looked great. (The only thing I would recommend is to cut the cucumber noodles with cooking shears so that you don’t end up with 5 super long strands when you try to serve the salad.) I was equally impressed with how thin the shredder blade cut the red onion. It was quick and painless – no tears at all!
The dressing was perfectly tart from the vinegar. The feta provided a perfect salty bite and the arugula a peppery one. And, the lemon juice brightened everything up. It is, quite possibly, the perfect summer salad.
Start with the vegetables…
- Cut the ends off of an English cucumber and slice it in half.
- Cut the ends off of a small onion and peel it.
- Using the slicer blade, run both cucumber halves through your spiralizer.
- Place the cucumber noodles on paper towels.
- Cover with more paper towels.
- Press down to absorb the moisture. (Cucumbers contain so much water!)
- Switch the blade of your spiralizer to the shredder blade, and run your red onion through it.
- Place the cucumber and onion in a large bowl. (I started with a bowl that just wasn’t cutting it. You’ll notice in the pictures I switched to a larger bowl soon after starting!)
- Trim the stems off of a small package of arugula.
- Add the arugula to your bowl and toss.
- Sprinkle in a little (or a lot) of crumbled feta.
Just before you serve, make the dressing.
- Start by pouring ¼ cup red wine vinegar into a small bowl (or just keep it in the measuring cup like me and make the dressing right in there. Less dishes that way!).
- Add 2 tablespoons EVOO.
- Season with some black pepper.
- Add a little salt. (I used coarse Kosher salt for the first time. it worked.)
- Spoon in ½ teaspoon of dried oregano.
- Squeeze in the juice from ½ of a lemon.
- Whisk to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad.
- Toss to coat all of the vegetables evenly with the dressing.
Serve immediately alongside your favorite protein. Enjoy!
Cucumber Noodle Salad with Feta & Arugula (serves 2)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- juice from ½ of a lemon
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 English cucumber, spiralized through the slicer blade
- ½ of a small red onion, spiralized through the shredder blade
- ¼ cup arugula
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- Combine the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and oregano in a small bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the cucumber, onion, arugula, and feta in a large bowl.
- Toss to combine.
- Whisk the dressing together, then pour over the salad.
- Toss again before serving.
Leave a Reply