It’s time for another spiralizer recipe!
Instead of using zucchini or cucumbers, I branched out to yellow squash this time. (I know, it’s not a huge jump from zucchini, but it’s still new and different!) I used the shredder blade to make squash noodles. I packed in flavor (and also nutrients) by serving the noodles with chicken, spinach, and feta.
My inspiration came from this great recipe on inspiralized.com. I added a little bit and swapped the zucchini out for the yellow squash. Overall, I was very satisfied with this meal. It’s a great one-pot meal; you have your protein, veggies, and “starch” (aka squash noodles) all in one pot, making clean up super simple.
Start with the chicken and other veggies…
- Slice up a package of chicken breast cutlets.
- Season the slices on one side with some s&p. (Don’t worry about the other side; you can season that once it’s in the skillet.)
- Season the same side liberally with garlic powder.
- Sprinkle a little crushed red pepper flake on top of the chicken slices. (Use as much or as little as you’d like, depending on how much heat you prefer!)
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add some EVOO.
- Finely chop ½ of an onion.
- Add the onion to the skillet.
- Stir and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Place the chicken in the skillet, seasoned side down.
- Season the other side on the chicken with some more s&p, garlic powder, and red pepper flake.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through (about 10 minutes total).
- While the chicken cooks, spiralize 4 yellows squash through the shredder blade.
- Add the squash noodles to the skillet.
- Give a little stir.
- Add a whole bag of spinach.
- Gently toss to combine the spinach and squash.
- Season with a little more s&p, garlic powder, and red pepper flake.
- Squeeze in the juice from half of a lemon.
- Cook for a few more minutes, until the spinach has wilted and the noodles have softened.
Plate the noodles and chicken.
Top with crumbled feta to add a salty bite.
*If you like this recipe, you may also want to try: Zucchini Spaghetti and Meatballs and Garlicky Shrimp with Zucchini Noodles.
One Year Ago: Mexican Turkey Burgers with Guacamole
Two Years Ago: Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Steak Lettuce Wraps
Three Years Ago: Capellini with Tomato and Peas
Squash Noodles with Chicken, Feta, and Spinach (serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ of an onion, finely chopped
- 1 package boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets, cut into strips
- freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flake, divided
- 4 yellow squash, spiralized through the shredder blade
- 1 bag spinach
- juice from ½ of a lemon
- ½ cup crumbled feta, divided
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion.
- Cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion begins to become translucent.
- Season the chicken strips on one side with salt, pepper, half of the garlic powder, and half of the red pepper flake.
- Add the chicken to the skillet seasoned side down.
- Season the other side of the chicken with more salt, pepper, and the remaining garlic powder and red pepper flake.
- Cook until the chicken is golden brown, flipping once, about 10 minutes.
- Add the squash noodles followed by the spinach.
- Toss to combine.
- Season with more salt, pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper flake to taste.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Cook until the squash noodles have softened and the spinach has wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Top with some of the feta when serving.
Leave a Reply