When I came across this recipe on a favorite blog of mine (Iowa Girls Eats), I just knew that I had to try it ASAP! And I am certainly glad that I did. It was delicious!! I loved everything about it…the buttery avocado, the sweetness of the balsamic glaze, the freshness of the bruschetta. My husband fully agreed. Yum yum yum!
This was a relatively quick recipe to pull together. I probably definitely could have let the balsamic vinegar reduce for a longer amount of time, but I was hungry! Next time, I’ll let it cook until it’s real syrupy. I made a quick side of spinach to go along with it. But, seriously, the chicken would have been more than enough to satisfy me! I needed nothing else!
Start with the balsamic glaze…
- Pour about 1 cup of balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and reserve.
- Next, trim one package of thinly cut chicken breasts.
- Heat some EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season one side of the chicken with some s&p.
- Place that side down in the skillet.
- Season the other side.
- Cook until the chicken is golden brown on the first side (about 6 minutes), then flip it.
- While the chicken finishes, preheat your broiler to high and line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- Place the finished chicken on the baking sheet.
- Top each piece with some lots of bruschetta.
- Slice an avocado and add a few slices to each chicken breast.
- Sprinkle some shredded mozzarella on top.
- Place under the broiler until the cheese has melted. (Don’t walk away! You don’t want to burn this chicken!!)
- Remove from the oven and drizzle the reduced balsamic vinegar over it. (Don’t forget it! I almost did!!)
One Year Ago: Citrus Cranberry Sauce
Chicken with Bruschetta, Avocado, & Balsamic Glaze (serves 4)
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 package of thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cups bruschetta
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pour the balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Let the vinegar simmer until it thickens, about 20 minutes.
- Set aside and let cool.
- Preheat your broiler to high.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the olive oil.
- Season the chicken on both sides with the salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the skillet.
- Cook until done, about 6 minutes per side.
- While the chicken cooks, line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- When the chicken is finished, place it on the baking sheet.
- Top each piece with some of the bruschetta.
- Add a few slices of avocado to each.
- Sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on top.
- Place under the broiler and cook until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle the reserved balsamic glaze over each piece of chicken.