My husband has been working from home a lot more lately. Consequently, he requested I make him some protein-packed lunches (to keep him from running out and grabbing something quick but not so healthy). After thinking about it, I decided that egg salad and tuna salad were perfect. Today, I’m sharing my egg salad recipe. (I’ll share the tuna salad one soon.)
I’m very particular about my egg salad (tuna too!). I pretty much only eat my version (and my mom’s). I am not a big mayo fan, so I use it sparingly. I also use just a touch of mustard. I season it up and add my secret ingredient: pickles! I love finely chopping a dill pickle and adding it to my egg salad. It adds a surprising taste that I love.
I could eat my egg salad right out of the container with a spoon. It’s also delicious on some multigrain bread (or toast). My husband went with sandwiches. I asked him to take a picture of his sandwich for me since I was at work when he made it; he took two. They aren’t the greatest quality, but you’ll get the idea. (A little side note: I took these picture quite some time ago. It was just after Easter and I had two very pretty, colorful Easter eggs left. I didn’t want you to think I dye my eggs randomly during the summer…)
Start with the eggs…
- Hard boil 6 eggs. (Get directions here.)
- Peel them and give them a rough chop.
- Place the eggs in a bowl (or plastic container like me).
- Season with some s&p.
- Add a little paprika.
- Add a little bit of spicy mustard. (I went with Emeril’s horseradish mustard.)
- Add just enough mayonnaise to bind everything together.
- Stir to combine.
- Finely chop 1 dill pickle spear.
- Add the pickle to the salad.
- Stir again.
Serve as is or in between two slices of hearty bread. (Add a slice of cheese if you please – my husband did!) Enjoy!
*If you like this recipe, you may also want to try: Deviled Eggs.
One Year Ago: Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad
Two Years Ago: Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Paninis
Three Years Ago: Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Chicken
- 6 eggs, hard boiled, peeled, and chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 heaping tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon horseradish mustard
- 1 dill pickle spear, finely chopped
- Place the eggs in a bowl.
- Season with the salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Add the mayonnaise and the mustard.
- Gently stir to combine.
- Add the pickle.
- Stir to combine.
- Serve on bread as a sandwich or by itself.
[…] I mentioned in my Egg Salad post, my husband is working from home more and needs easy yet satisfying lunches to keep him fueled […]