I made this delectable steak dish to go along with my Greek Cucumber Noodle Salad. It had a lot of the same flavors and ingredients as the steak rolls, so the two paired well together.
This dish is a simple premise: thinly slice some steak, sauté some vegetables, spoon the veggies onto the slices of steak, roll them up, and sear. You can really use flavors from any place in the world. I (obviously) went with Greece. I did take some help from the store and bought already sliced steak. (It was called Sliced Sandwich Steak.) It was a very affordable cut of meat and saved me some time (and patience!).
I used some of my favorites vegetables as the filling for the rolls: a tantalizing mixture of green beans, roasted peppers, and cherry tomatoes. I threw in some fresh oregano and salty feta as well. I was overzealous and made for veggies than I needed. I was totally okay with that though. They were a great side late in the week. You do need to plan ahead for this meal. I marinated the steak in my fridge for 2 hours before I started cooking. You could certainly marinate it before you go to work in the morning though.
Start with the marinade…
- Place some sliced steak into a large dish.
- Season the beef with ground black pepper on both sides. (There is soy sauce in the marinade, so salt is not necessary.)
- Measure out ½ cup of beef broth.
- Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce.
- Pour in 2 teaspoons EVOO.
- Whisk to combine.
- Pour the marinade over the steaks.
- Flip the steaks around to make sure the marinade coats all sides.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Just before the meat is done marinating, start on the vegetables…
- Thinly slice 3 scallions on the bias.
- Mince a couple of cloves of garlic.
- Heat a little EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the scallions and garlic.
- Sauté the aromatics until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add some sliced roasted red peppers.
- Add 1 bag of green beans. (I took a little help fro the store again on this one!)
- Halve 15 cherry tomatoes.
- Add the tomatoes to the skillet.
- Stir and cook until the beans are tender crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Mince up some fresh oregano.
- Add it the pan.
- Stir in the oregano.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Pour in some crumbled feta.
- Give a good stir to incorporate the feta.
- Take the steak out of the fridge.
- Place the steak slices on a cutting board.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture onto each steak. (Do not overdo it!)
- Carefully roll each slice of steak. (Don’t fret! Some of the filling may escape. It’s okay!)
- Secure each steak roll with a toothpick (or 2).
- Heat another skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add a little more EVOO.
- Place the steaks, seam-side down, in the skillet.
- Cook until browned (about 3-4 minutes), then flip. (You want the steak to caramelize a bit.)
- Continue cooking until the meat cooked through. (It won’t take much longer!)
Make sure you remember to remove the toothpicks before serving! Enjoy!
One Year Ago: Asian Style Peppers
Three Years Ago: Sausage, Peppers, & Onions
- 1 pound thinly sliced beef round sandwich steak (8 slices total)
- ground black pepper
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 small bag green beans
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Season the beef with pepper, to taste.
- Combine the beef broth, soy sauce, and 2 teaspoons of the olive oil.
- Whisk well.
- Pour the marinade over the beef.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and scallions.
- Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the roasted peppers, green beans, and tomatoes.
- Stir and cook until the green beans are tender crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Add the oregano and stir.
- Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Stir in the feta.
- Let the vegetables cool for a few minutes.
- Heat another skillet over high heat.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Lay the pieces of steak flat on a cutting board.
- Place some of the green bean mixture in the center of each piece.
- Roll up each piece of steak.
- Secure each roll with a toothpick.
- Place the steak rolls, seam-side down, in the skillet.
- Let cook for about 3 minutes, then flip.
- Continue cooking until the beef is cooked through, about 3 more minutes.
- Remember to remove the toothpicks before serving.