Since I started using it once a week, I am really beginning to *love* my slow cooker. Every dish just comes out with such well-developed flavors. And any meat dish is always super-tender. I highly recommend investing in one of these cooking machines. And, if you already have one, dust it off and give it a try! Seriously!
Today’s Slow Cooker Sunday recipe is based on a recipe from weightwatchers.com. My version has a PointsPlus value of 6 points per serving. It’s similar to the slow cooker chicken tacos I made a few weekends ago (see: ), but this recipe definitely has more to it. The tomatoes and beans make it more filling. The flavor is great, too, with just the right amount of heat. Prep work was relatively quick, which is always a plus. The kitchen smelled great all day too!
Get all the ingredients ready for your slow cooker…
- Dice up 1 red onion and mince up 3 cloves of garlic.
(Do you see my awesome new knife in the picture?? It’s a Wusthof and it’s amazing! Thanks to my husband! <3)
- Add the onion and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Add 2 small cans of diced tomato with chills and 1 can of red kidney beans (drained and rinsed).
- Next add some spices.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and chili powder.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon each of oregano and pepper.
- Stir to combine everything.
- Cut about 1.75 pounds of chicken thighs into chunks.
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add 3/4 cup of chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours (or low for 6-8 hours).
When the slow cooker is finished cooking…
- Shred the chicken pieces with 2 forks.
- Remove the chicken mixture with a slotted spoon. (You want to get rid of as much liquid as possible.)
I used whole wheat tortillas for the burritos. I topped the chicken mixture with a little shredded cheddar and some salsa. Feel free to add you own toppings (such as sour cream or guacamole) if you’d like. Then, roll up your burrito and you’re good to go! (On a side note, I am happy to report that I am getting much better at rolling burritos. I used to be terrible!)